Background

Saturday, January 8, 2011

In Honor of Deputy John Norsworthy

This morning, as a family, we all loaded up and went to town to run some errands.  Shortly after 1 or so we had one last stop and needed to get on 59.  We noticed that from every direction you tried to enter 59 (north or south) was blocked...so we thought, we'll just take the back roads and when we did we saw cars lining each side of the highway with people standing on the side of the road, so we pulled over to see what was going on...About that time we saw a hearse passing by, the couple told us that a local officer had died in a car wreck...

We pulled over to pay our respects.  While we were pulled over, in no hurry to get anywhere, Will was in the back seat yelling, "ugh, this stupid line..." (I guess he's learned that from somewhere before-oops). I turned around and told the kids that this was not a stupid line.  I said that an officer, like Mr. Dan (our neighbor, and father of Faith's best friend) had been in a bad car accident and passed away.

This raised many questions...as cars began to clear out, we went on with our Saturday afternoon.  They asked questions about his family and friends and that's when I said, how about we pray for him.  Everyone agreed and we prayed for peace and comfort for his family and friends.

After the prayer not much else was said about it until tonight we were sitting at the table having family game night.  We were passing out cards and one of the kids said, so did he go to heaven? Which then lead us to the conversation that you have to believe Jesus was the Son of God and died on the cross for our sins.  That we have try to live a life like God--like obey our parents (had to throw that one in there!) But we can have hope that he knew Jesus...

Then as I laid down with Will tonight, I said, let's say our prayers buddy...he said, "No, let's just pray for the police."  When I heard my 3 year old say that, my heart melted!

I don't always snatch these moments like I should, but...I think we hit the mark today.  We had an opportunity to witness to our children through the life of an officer.

I'd like to dedicate this post to Officers, Firefighters, and the Military! Thank you for ALL you do! Thank you for protecting us and risking your life daily to assure safety for everyone else!

In honor of Deputy John Norsworthy, his wife and two children. 
**Family and friends if you see an emergency vehicle, please remember to yield!
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26366734/detail.html

3 comments:

  1. We were stopped in the traffic for about 30 minutes while the funeral procession was leaving the church today. It was a great time to talk to the kids about how the officer was a hero and that we should pray for his family. And also what a funeral is. I pray that we'll always be ready to answer our kids' questions and teach them the importance of living for Jesus! Thanks for posting this! Amanda Pikkula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, wehen you lie down and when you get up.
    Deuteronomy 11:19

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Amanda for your post. I pray the same thing...when my father-n-law passed away there were many questions I couldn't answer for Faith, but we would just pray...death is a hard thing to explain to a child.

    ReplyDelete