Remember, we don't belong here this is not our home. Our home is in heaven with Christ.
He has given us
- a new birth with new hope
- salvation is secure in heaven and nothing can take that away because Christ paid for it with his blood.
- Ministry we are all called to be priest
- ALL you have to do=receive these gift out of His grace
- embrace submission
- submission is a bad word these days, but all it really means it to rank yourself under someone else...just put someone ahead of you.
- forgive as I have forgiven you--Does not matter how bad someone has wronged you. Christ still forgives you and you should still forgive others (no matter what!)
- giving most of the time as Christians we're giving people, but 10% ?? You mean we can only live on 90%??
- Marriage: when you said "I do" there was something there you wanted to be with But when you read what God says a husband and wife should be...that's where I draw the line...it may have worked in the Bible, but there's NO way it can work today.
What if those principles ran against everything you know to be true in our culture...still want to put them into play?
1 Peter 3:1-6
In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives. Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourself instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands. For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.
- Submission has more to do with your position in Christ than your position in earthly authority
- We will always struggle with being submissive of those over us if we have not fully and completely given our hearts to Christ (Ephesians 5:22-27) because ultimately your surrender is to Christ--NOT your husband...it's about being obedient to Christ, not some other person
- I have been reading Let.It.Go. By Karen Ehman and she describes submission much like a dance. For the dance to fall into place, the woman must follow the man's lead. It doesn't mean she's inferior or less than or subservient. It isn't about importance. It's about function and roles.
- Our obedience paves the way for God to do His best work!
- possibly opens up others' hearts, minds, eyes to who Jesus really is. When we refuse to live in obedience, it can shut doors.
- People may not be able to hear you because you actions are too loud
- we can't even communicate the truth of Christ when this happens
- ***Christ set us free not to just be free and live how I want BUT to lead others to Christ and to serve Him with NO guilt and shame from my former life (AMEN!) ***
- Live in Godly submission!
- Live it out in my home
- Beauty should be more than skin deep
- Beauty in God's eyes is in the heart, most other men look only at what's on the outside
- Quiet and gentle = secure in who you are, you don't have to cause a scene to get people to approve of you
- don't let jewelry and stuff get in the way...let it enhance
- **Note, this is not saying to be quiet and meek and stop dressing up or wearing making or pretty jewelry...it's simply saying that that is not what God looks at...use these things as enhancements, not as the only thing people notice about you.
- Follow Godly examples
- Sarah followed the leadership of her husband
- God will never hold you accountable to the spiritual condition of your home
- You can encourage him all you want (without nagging)
- What I WILL be held accountable for = am I willing to put myself under Daron (your husband) and encourage him.
1 Peter 3:7
In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God's gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered.
1) Know your wife--be considerate, understand her, love her, cherish her
- Men: if you were God's gift to creation-He would have stopped with you, but He then created Eve...it's never good to leave man alone (Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.” Genesis 2:18
- Respect her in the things you say, do, and think (when she is with or without you)
- stop looking at other ladies...stop window shopping = not showing respect to your wife.
- "weaker" not emotionally or spiritually, but (in most cases) physically
- fine China vs. daily plates
- fine China you put away in a safe place where no one can touch it, you use them only for special occasions, you treat them delicately
- whereas, daily plates are chipped, use them all the time, they are dropped, replaced, etc...
- **Treat your wife like fine China--with special care, respect, she's special and worth it!
- If you fail to honor your wife--you willingly choose to diminish your access to God.
- if you don't want your prayers to be hindered treat your wife with honor and respect.
"To live like no one else, you have to live like no one else"
If you know Dave Ramsey, you know he is talking about finances, but in the same way with our life and marriage. If we want to look and be different for Christ, we are going to live different.
It's easy for us to listen to the voice of pride and every other voice out there except the voice of God. You can draw lines and live like everyone else...OR be willing to listen to the voice of truth and have a marriage that everyone else will look at and want to have.