Background

Friday, December 10, 2010

Lesson learned? For now...

Have you ever noticed trying to discipline is like disciplining yourself? 

Will likes to try to urinate all different creative ways into the potty and more times than not it lands everywhere, BUT the potty...is sheer frustration I usually lose my temper, yell, and while he runs off I clean it up with fury...

Well, today, he was doing so weird stance on a stool and said with a grin, "Hey Mom, look!"  As I glanced over I saw him pissing all over the toilet seat and his underwear.  I began yelling, "What are you doing?? Do it the right way, pee in the potty!!"

Is quickly stood up to finish and his grin faded...Instead of my usual continued yelling, I shut the door, handed him toilet paper, and said, "We are not leaving here until you wipe it up." He said, "No, you do it, it's yucky."  I said, "This I know, but you did, you will clean it." This continued on going on for well over 15 minutes.  I calmly sat there and told him we would not leave the room until HE cleaned it.  Me being calm in this circumstance was a feat in itself...but I continued to sit there, hum, and prayed that God would give me the strength not to give in.  After his many tears, yelling, and fit, he wiped it up, washed his hands.  I asked him to look at me, and told him how much I loved him and that was yucky and from now on if  he didn't make it in the potty he would have to clean it up.  He said, "Yes Ma'am," and kissed me back.

A while later he said, "I'm going potty." I looked him and he said, "I wont make a mess." For now, lesson learned.  I know this is a silly, yet a daily example of how I'm stretched...

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.  And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confidence of hope of salvation.  And this hope will not lead to disappointment.  For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
Romans 5:3-5

In all the disappointments in life, I am SO thankful to know that I have the peace that God will NOT disappoint.  There will always be life's disappointments, kids, spouse, family, friends...but we can be confident, God will not...

No comments:

Post a Comment