Background

Monday, December 6, 2010

Running





Well, I completed my first 1/2 marathon. 2 years ago my older sister, Fallon, asked me if I would like to run with her...I think my response was rather quick and went some like, "hell no...." with a little giggle...I have NEVER been much of a runner and never thought I would be.
It all began in January, I was upset one day and decided to go out for a walk, I was so upset that it turned into a jog...I thought to myself, "I can breath...how? I have never been able to breath and run at the same time." It was at that point that I knew I would start running, at least a little.

March came around and I had only ran a couple of times. I gave Daron a 30th birthday party where many friends and family came. One of my close girl-friends came and had lost a lot of weight. I immediately asked her what she was doing and her response was, "running!" I thought to myself, that's it, I'm going to go for it! She then asked me to run a race with her, so, I ran my first 5K with her in College Station in April. That pretty much kicked my butt, but I did it! Then we ran a relay in May in Corpus Christi. It was then my Mom and sisters decided we would all run the San Antonio Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon. I became serious and started training.

In the following months I trained dedicated to my calendar, eating relatively healthy, yet-my original goal of losing weight was not happening. I became discouraged and talked to several seasoned athletes and was told time and time again, "do not run to lose weight!" That made no sense to me since I had another friends that had lost loads of weight "running." One expert told me that running was such a shock to the body that it would take at least 6 months for my body to make it through the shock, then I would lose some weight...low and behold, about 8 months after I began I started losing weight. I have now lost over 15 pounds with a combination of Weight Watchers, running, and strength training.

I ran another 5K-Buffalo Stampede in Bryan and a 10K in Houston to prepare for this race...
November 14, 2010 I accomplished something I told myself I would NEVER do....I RAN and 1/2 Marathon. So many emotions over-flowed as I crossed the 12 mile mark....then the finish line. I had done something that few ever do. God had enabled me to cross that line. He helped me endure the training, the pain, the challenge and complete a goal! I also had the emotions running that the first 1/2 I ever did was with my family by my side! My 50 year-old Mom finished her first the same day, my sisters, dad, and cousins were all there! It was such a wonderful feeling!

Don't ever sell yourself short...you can do and be anything you want to be with adequate amount of training and mindset. So, where do I go from here? Well, I sure need to set another goal that I have yet to set...

No comments:

Post a Comment